NEW YORK, NY – December 20, 2021) – The holiday season is popular for local and international travel, but as one of the busiest times to drive, it is also one of the most dangerous. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the months of November, December and January consistently show 25% more road accidents compared to other months, with December having the highest number of car accidents. In recognition of this, the Founder and Senior Advocate David H. Perecman of The company Perecman, SARL, shares tips and best practices for staying safe on the roads.
There are many factors that can increase road hazards during this time of year. Adverse weather conditions, increased traffic, longer commute times, speeding tickets, and more widespread alcohol consumption are some of the most common. According to ValuePengin’s analysis of NHSTA data, drunk drivers caused more than 6,000 fatal accidents during vacation from 2010 to 2018. Fatal drunk driving accidents account for an average of 37%. fatal vacation accidents during this period.
To help drivers avoid the dangers of the freeway while on vacation and get to their destination safely and worry-free, Perecman suggests:
- If you drink alcohol, choose a fuel-efficient trip or use a taxi, public transit, or carpooling service to get to your destination safely.
- If you’re having a party, offer non-alcoholic drinks to non-drinking guests.
- If you have a young driver at home, talk to them about drunk driving and have them sign an agreement with the driver so they never drive drunk.
Prepare your vehicle for winter
- Prepare your vehicle for winter.
- Take your vehicle to a qualified mechanic for a complete inspection.
- Follow routine maintenance as outlined in your vehicle’s manual.
- Carry an emergency vehicle kit to keep in your car at all times.
- Prepare in advance before a long trip and bring extra snacks, water, blanket, and a cell phone charger.
- Regularly check the pressure of your tires, lights and wipers.
- Be aware and attentive to your surroundings.
- Check mirrors frequently, watch for pedestrians, cyclists and animals along the roads.
- Follow the 3-4 second rule to keep a safe distance from other drivers and have time in case you need to stop suddenly.
- Pay attention to others, but don’t assume that other drivers will stray or allow you to merge. Always be prepared to react in the event that another driver makes a mistake or breaks the rules of the road.
- If you see an aggressive or dangerous driver, try to slow down, stop, or turn at the next exit to avoid them. If you think the driver’s behavior will cause an accident, call 911 to report it once you have
- are pulled safely.
Avoid distractions and drive the speed limit
- Always focus on the act of driving and avoid texting or using a cell phone; sending a single text message can increase your accident risk by 23.
- Configure your music, routes and other necessities
- before leaving on a longer trip.
- Obey the posted speed limit and take the speed limit into account in unfamiliar areas.
- Drive at a safe speed for current conditions, even if it is below the posted limit.
- Reduce your speed in traffic, inclement weather and construction areas.
- Talk to your young drivers about the dangers of distraction and ask them to
- Take the NHSTA Commitment
About Perecman Company, PLLC
Founded in 1983 by David Perecman, The Perecman Firm, PLLC is a personal injury law firm with offices in New York, New York, and Jericho, New York. The firm’s attorneys focus their legal practices on all aspects of personal injury, including construction accidents, premises liability, motor vehicle accidents, wrongful death and civil rights matters, as well as ‘compensation for work accidents and social security disability. Recognized by US News for the past ten years in a row as one of America’s Top Personal Injury Plaintiffs Law Firms in New York City, and recognized among peers for professionalism, knowledge and results by organizations Recognized nationally, including Super Lawyers® and Best Lawyers®, the firm and its lawyers have collected more than half a billion dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of their clients. This year, in recognition of his groundbreaking work in and out of the courtroom, David Perecman was named Best Lawyers® 2022 Personal Injury Litigation – “Lawyer of the Year” Plaintiffs on Long Island.
# # #
For more information visit www.perecman.com.
Perecman, PLLC is located at 135 West 20e Street, Suite 402, New York, NY 10011