Personal Injury Lawyer / Senior Lawyer
Edinburgh or Dundee
This is a great opportunity to join one of the leading personal injury prosecution teams in Scotland. We are ranked in both the Legal 500 and Chambers and with five accredited specialists and two barristers on the team, you can be sure of excellent training and mentorship and a wide variety of work.
These roles can be based out of our Edinburgh or Dundee offices and our hybrid working model gives you the option to work from home for part of the week.
where every day is different
You will work with clients across Scotland on a range of cases including civil and employer’s liability, occupational disease, road traffic accidents and medical negligence. You will be responsible for your own caseload of pre-litigation and litigation cases and conduct your own advocacy as required. You will also collaborate with senior team members on more complex and high value cases. We will work with you to support and discuss your career goals and you will be supported in developing expertise in specialist areas of interest.
You will be an attorney or senior attorney with up to 5 years post-qualified experience in personal injury, medical negligence or other more general litigation work and a passion for the work of litigation prosecutors. bodily injury. You will have strong advocacy, drafting and negotiation skills and ideally experience in Sheriff Court and Court of Session cases. You will be passionate about delivering the best result for clients and committed to upholding the highest standards of customer service. You will be fully supported by our team in mentorship and career training and there are real opportunities for career progression and development as we grow. We encourage open conversations about your career goals and will work with you to achieve them in your career at Thorntons.
Thorntons is one of Scotland’s four leading independent law firms, providing a full range of legal services to individuals, families and businesses across Scotland. We are a progressive and ambitious company and pride ourselves on providing high quality, practical advice and exceptional customer service.
Thorntons has grown significantly in recent years, both organically and through strategic mergers and acquisitions, and we know that talented, ambitious people are key to our success. What sets Thorntons apart from other companies is our drive and ambition for future growth, our innovative and strategic thinking and, most importantly, our people and our culture.
We recognize and appreciate the contribution people make to our business – and to our success. Our employees are truly at the heart of what we do. We see the whole person, not just the person in the workplace – we realize that people want flexibility, and our policies support that. It’s just common sense: do your best for our people and they’ll do their best for us.
- Full time or part time (Happy to talk flexible working options)
- Competitive salary
- Investment in training, development and career advancement opportunities
- 25 days of vacation (increasing with seniority up to 30 days) plus 7 public holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Health Care Cash Plan
- Corporate discounts
- Cycling to work
Reports to: Partner
- Manage a varied workload, ensuring that clients communicate regularly and that all deadlines are met; with the support, if necessary, of the supervisors.
- Handle initial enquiries, report to supervisors on potential instructions;
- Support and collaborate with colleagues on complex and valuable cases;
- Undertake your own advocacy in Sheriff Court matters (if applicable), with the support of fellow supervisors;
- To instruct counsel in Court of Session cases;
- Support colleagues in the delivery of internal and external training programs;
- Provide high levels of customer service and communication internally and externally;
- Weekly workload reports to supervisor;
- Financial management of your own workload, with support from supervisors.